Thursday, November 5, 2009

Cheese Making

Look at this! 4 pounds of yummy cheese goodness. I made wheels of cheese this week! That's 2 pounds of Monterey Jack from whole milk, and in the front is a 2 pound wheel of Cheddar, also from whole milk. They each took 2 gallons of milk to make. Anyone who thinks that milk is just an empty calorie drink, should look at these hefty babies. I didn't realize it at the time, but I could have taken the whey (liquid--not the curd) and also made a gallon of ricotta cheese for lasagna! Next time.

These babies will be cured and ready to eat in 2-6 months.

Later this week I'm going to get some non-fat milk for making parmesan cheese and will make another wheel of New Mexico Green Chilli Cheese! Which I've never seen anywhere. I'm going to use my trusty dried green chilli.

No comments:

Post a Comment